Cudgegong Valley History Project

Athol House1888

Athol House
Given names
Birth 1888 44 34

Birth of a sisterLilly House
1895 (Age 7)

Death of a fatherGeorge Henry House
February 14, 1917 (Age 29)

DEATH OF MR G. H. HOUSE. The death of Mr. George Henry House took place at his late residence, Hermitage Flat, on Wednesday night, after an illness extending over some weeks. The cause of death was senine decay, accelerated by neuritis. Mr House, who had passed his 73rd birthday, was a native of Weymouth, England, and came to Australia when quite a youth. He joined the railway service in early life and had resided within a radius of 40 miles of, Lithgow for over 40 years. He had filled the office of stationmaster at Rockley, Rylstone, Capertee and Bowenfels, and was known, as a capable officer and strict disciplinarian. Retiring from the service some ten years ago, he since resided quietly at Hermitage Flat. He was a local preacher, in the Methodist church, and otherwise interested himself in various departmeuts of church work. Deceased has left a widow and grown up family of three sons and five daughters to mourn their loss, the latter are Mrs. A. Dennis (Capertee); Mrs. Robinson, (Concord); Mrs. Simons, (Auburn); and the Misses House, (Lithgow). The sons are Mr. John House, traffic inspector Werris Creek, Mr. W. House, S.M, Cockle Creek; and Mr. G. House, school teacher near Wingham. The funeral took place this morning in the Methodist, section of the general cemetery, at South Bowenfels, the arrangements being in the hands of Messrs J. Walton and Son (Lithgow Mercury, Friday 16 February 1917, page 6).


Church Triumphant MR. GEORGE HENRY HOUSE. The Lithgow Circuit has suffered a great loss in the decease of its oldest local preacher, Mr. George Henry House. Mr. House was a most remarkable man in many ways. His strong personality, keen intellect, spiritual perception, and uNew South Waleserving loyalty to the truth, impressed all who came in contact with him. He was born in Weymouth, England, 75 years ago. His parents died when he was only a child, but the influence of his Christian mother never left him. He left England 50 years ago, and came to New South Wales, and settled in this district. He was converted to God over 40 years ago as the result of a conversation with a Christian man who still lives in this district, and whose daughter is married to one of our circuit stewards. There was no doubt about his conversion. He kept back none of the price, and at once united himself to God's people and began to work for the Master in the Sunday school, and soon after became a local preacher. With characteristic earnestness he travelled far and wide proclaiming with much acceptance the everlasting Gospel. He was for many years in the employ of the Railway Department, and acted as station master in this and adjoining districts. Wherever he went he carried his religion with him, and if there were no Methodist services he soon established them, and by so doing did some pioneering work for our church. He was a man of the highest probity, who could not be bought at any price, for it was largely through him that the famous frauds on the railways that figured so prominently in the eighties, were brought to light, and as a result, the authorities rewarded him with promotion. He retired from the railway ten years ago and settled in Lithgow, and continued his work for God until the end. He was an able and thoughtful preacher, most popular with the people. It could not be said of him a prophet hath no honour in his own country. He was a close student of the Bible, and few people were better versed than lie. He always kept his appointments, and frequently walked miles in order to fulfil them. After an illness of about six months, during which he witnessed to the saving grace of God and rejoiced in the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, he passed triumphantly into the Father's Home, leaving a gap in our ranks that will be hard to fill. His name will be cherished in this district for many years, for he died in the love and esteem of many friends. He left behind him a sorrowing wife and eight children to mourn their loss. A crowded congregation assembled in Lithgow at his memorial service, conducted by the Rev. J. S. Thomas, when the preacher eulogised the life and work of the deceased saint, and took for his text, ' He was a good man and full of the Holy Ghost and of faith.' - J.S.T. (Methodist, Saturday 23 June 1917, page 11)

Death of a brotherWilliam House
December 29, 1923 (Age 35)

THE LATE MR. W. HOUSE Mr. W. House, the station master who was killed, in a shunting accident a Wellington recently, was a son of the late George House, who, many years ago, was station master at Capertee, Rylstone. Lue, and Bowenfells. Mr. W. House spent his school days at Lue and Rylstone, and joined the railway as a junior porter at Mudgee about 22 years ago. He was 45 years of age, and leaves a widow and two children. His aged mother resides in Lithgow (Mudgee Guardian and North-Western Representative, Thursday 5 June 1924, page 26)


DEATHS HOUSE. - December 29, 1923, at R. P. A. Hospital, William, aged 73 years, late of Darlington (suddenly) (Sydney Morning Herald, Saturday 5 January 1924, page 12).

Death of a motherSarah Ann Gough
July 17, 1931 (Age 43)

MRS. SARAH ANN HOUSE. Mrs. Sarah Ann House was born at Bath, England, on 8th August, 1853. She arrived in N.S.W. 74 years ago, and but for a few years at Windsor her time was spent in the Rylstone and Lithgow districts. In 1870, she married Mr. George Henry House, who after many years of effective; local preaching service, was called Home in 1917. For a long period, Mrs. House was a great sufferer, but she bore the burden with quietness and patience. She delighted in the 'things of God,' and kept a keen interest in the Lithgow Church, though prevented from attendance. In the latter months of her earthly sojourn, the weariness of the flesh was manifest, and she 'earnestly desired to be clothed upon with the house which is from above.' That opportunity came on July 17, when she peacefully departed to be with Christ. Happily all the surviving members of her family were able to be at her bedside in the last hours. They are, Mrs. Dennis, Kogarah; Mrs. Robinson, Concord; Mrs. Simon, Blackheath; Miss Lily House, Lithgow; Messrs. George, Wingham; and John, Junee. - W.A.A. (Methodist, Saturday 5 September 1931, page 13).


LOCAL AND DISTRICT DEATHS MRS. SARAH HOUSE With the passing of Mrs. Sarah Ann House at her residence, 3 Coal-brook-street on Friday night, a long and useful life ended. The late Mrs. House and her husband, Mr. George Henry House, who died in Lithgow about 14 years age , reared a big family, and earned the respect and esteem of the community. Had she lived a few days longer she would have reaches her 78th birthday. Born at Bath England, and coming to Australia as a girl, she spent practically all her life in the Rylstone and Lithgow districts. Her interest in the Methodist church was keen, and she worked for it for many years. Her residence in Lithgow totalled 32 years surviving members or the family are: Messrs. George (Wingham) and John (Junee), Mesdames Dennis (Kogarah), Robinson (Concord) and Gimon (Blackheath), and Miss House, of Coalbrook-street. To them will be extended the sympathy of a wide circle of friends. The funeral took place yesterday afternoon, interment being made in the Methodist portion of Bowenfels cemetery. The Rev. W. H. Arthur officiated (Lithgow Mercury, Monday 20 July 1931, page 2).

Death of a brotherGeorge Henry House
November 24, 1937 (Age 49)

Death of a brotherJohn House
January 4, 1939 (Age 51)


Mr. John House. The death occurred suddenly at his residence. Vesper Street. Temora, on Wednesday evening, 4th January, 1939, of Mr. John House, 63, retired station-master, of Temora. Born at Newnes, near Lithgow, he entered the railway service at an early age, and made rapid progress. At one time he held the position of Assistant District Superintendent at Junee, which is one of the most important railway centres in the south-west. He came to Temora about 51 years ago to take over the position of Stationmaster, which he held for about three years before retiring. Of a quiet, retiring disposition, he did not take an active part in public life. On his retirement, he took up residence in Temora. For the past 12 months he had suffered from heart trouble, which was the cause of his sudden death. He is survived by four sisters, Mesdames Sarah Dennis, May Robinson, Emma Simon and Miss Lily House. The body was conveyed by train to Lithgow, where the funeral took place. Among the floral tributes received were those from the Temora Loco staff and the Temora Traffic Branch. Mrs. G. House, of Wingham, is a sister-in-law of deceased and Mrs. Les. Walshe, of Marlee, is a niece (Manning River Times and Advocate for the Northern Coast Districts of New South Wales, Saturday 21 January 1939, page 5).

Death of a sisterMay House
May 29, 1950 (Age 62)


DEATHS ROBINSON, May.-May 29, 1950, dearly beloved wife of the late Albert Ernest Robinson and dear mother of Ruby, Amy, Joyce, Kelvin, and Audrey, aged 68 years (Sydney Morning Herald, Tuesday 30 May 1950, page 18)

Death of a sisterSarah Jane House
1954 (Age 66)

Death of a sisterEmma House
April 1, 1961 (Age 73)


DEATHS SIMON, Emma. April 1, 1961, wife of the late Edward Simon, of Blackheath, dearly loved mother of Edward, Keith, Doris, Edna, Mavis and Hazel, beloved grandmother and great-grandmother of their children, dear sister of Lilian House, aged 76 years. At rest (Sydney Morning Herald, Monday, April 03, 1961, p. 28)

Death of a sisterLilly House
June 30, 1990 (Age 102)


DEATHS House, Lily. June 30, 1990, at nursing home, late of Earlwood, beloved daughter of Sarah and George (both deceased). At rest. Privately cremated (Sydney Morning Herald, Friday, July 06, 1990, p. 31).

Family with parents - View this family
Marriage: 1871
1 year
elder sister
4 years
elder brother
3 years
elder brother
3 years
elder brother
William House
Birth: 1878 34 24
Death: December 29, 1923Royal Prince Alfred Hospital, Camperdown, New South Wales, Australia
18 years
younger sister
-12 years
elder sister
4 years
elder sister
4 years

  1. Generation 1
    1. Athol House, son of George Henry House and Sarah Ann Gough, was born in 1888.